Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dearly Departed

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My beloved Gram departed this life we know at 7:30 AM this morning.  She was 93 and lived a full, peaceful life.  Her last days were unpleasant for her and we are so thankful the worst part was short (hospice was engaged for about 30 hours).  I was able to break away on Wednesday for a 1-night trip to offer any support to my mom (she’s left behind as an only child) and to say goodbye to my Gram.  It was a sweet time that I will always cherish.


Gram was the last living grandparent for both Eric and me.  It’s amazing how much our own mortality hits us in the face when a loved one passes.  And amazing how much a new life invigorates us with hope.  Some call this the Circle of Life <cue Elton John and Walt Disney>.  We are grieving the loss of Gram and yet turn with joy to the thought of Kate.  We’re finally bringing her home!

We departed for Africa just 7 hours after Gram’s passing.  Within the past 2 days, we’ve had to shuffle around all our plans given that Gram was in her final hours.  My parents were no longer able to watch our kids while we traveled; they needed to stay by Gram’s side.  So my brother’s family, especially niece Kayla, stepped in to bridge the gap.  And I know our kids are having a blast!  We are so thankful for their generosity in many ways toward us.  And that they live in the next town over makes it even better!

This trip has already been a dream compared to the first one.  We’ve remarked at how much more relaxed this time around.  We know where we’re headed and have friends waiting for our arrival.  And given the week we’ve had, we really need about 40 hours to just do nothing.  It’s a good “in between” for us.  Leaving behind the mourning and moving toward the dancing!  Loss, and Gain.

A friend reminded me of a great praise song which comes from Job that has been rolling around in my spirit all week:

“You give & take away,
You give & take away,
My heart will choose to say,
...Lord, blessed be your Name!”"Lord, blessed be Your name!"

Rest in peace, Gram:  You are home
Sleep in peace, Kate:  You’re coming home

0 Kind Words:

Post a Comment